Watch a free 9 part video HERE on how to be you own Fashion stylist
While being a Fashion Stylist or Image Consultant ultimately means successfully assisting people with their overall appearance and style, to be a true Artisan at the craft, one needs to be able to successfully style oneself first. So what are the steps that take us to becoming the perfect self-Stylist?
Firstly here are some important points that need pondering:
- What is style? Style is about you and your relationship to yourself. Fashion is in the clothes. Style is in the wearer.
- What is My SIGNATURE Style? Find a look that’s all your own based on your personality, your body and your lifestyle.
- Begin with the basics - Building a wardrobe actually starts with purging. Go through your closet and toss or donate everything that doesn’t fit or flatter. Once you’ve done that, you’ll have a better idea of what you have to work with and what you need to put on your shopping list.
- Have a bag of tricks - Did you know Aquaphor Ointment will help your feet slip into too-tight shoes or that hairspray can stop a runner in your tights? Do you have fashion tape and foot petals on-hand? A good stylist knows how to avoid wardrobe malfunctions and keeps a stash of emergency items close by at all times.
- Pay attention to detail - There’s a lot more to a look than just a dress, shoes and bag. Reflect on the total picture when piecing together your ensemble for a meeting, a date or a night out. From lip and nail color to hairstyle and even skin tone, the difference between “eh” and “wow” is all in the little things.
- Play dress up - Experimenting with separates, accessories and trends isn’t the best way to establish your style; it’s the only way. Rather than rushing in and out of stores like you’re on a mission, take a Saturday afternoon to invest in yourself and your appearance. Try colors you haven’t tried before, and be open to new silhouettes and trends. Visit Looklet and Glamstorm – websites that let you play with fashion concepts for free.
Skills of the Successful Image Consultant
The steps to becoming a successful self-Stylist is understanding the following items and knowing how to successfully shop for each item:
1: Personal Colour - Are you Autumn, Summer, Spring or Winter? Working out your personal colour can be somewhat complicated so seeking a professional colour analysis from an Image Consultant can be a good starting point. For more on personal colour click HERE
2: Body Shape and Proportion - Do you have a Pear, Oval, Diamond or Hourglass figure? Knowing this will help you choose the right kinds of flattering clothes for your shape. For more on body shape click HERE & HERE
3: Hair and makeup - Do you know how to style your hair and apply makeup to give your outfit that polished and flawless look? While your outfit might look great, if your hair and makeup aren't up to scratch all that hard self-styling work will be a complete waste. Doing a basic hair/makeup course is a great way to learn professional tips so that you always look your best.
4: Perfect Fit - Do all your clothes fit you perfectly or are your pants too loose and your jackets too tight? While the perfect pants, dress and blazer may seem elusive, it's just a matter of knowing what to look for in the dressing room. For more on perfect fit click HERE
5: Style Personality - Many of us are across several style personalities, and we often change over time as we age. For more on style personality click HERE What type of style is your personality more suited to? Casual, Classic, Feminine,Creative or Minimalist?
6: Shoes and Accessories - Like hair and makeup, shoes and accessories can either make or break a great outfit. Again it's important to know how to accessorize to bring out the best in every outfit you wear or simply change it in a moment's notice with the help of some basic accessories. For more on why accessories matter click HERE
7: Wardrobe detox - It’s surprising to discover that women only wear 20% of their wardrobe 80% of the time. If you are one of these women then a wardobe detox is probably what you need to get rid of the clothes you no longer belong in your wardrobe. While you can pay a professional to assist you do a wardrobe detox, you can also follow the golden rules and undertake the arduous task yourself. For more on a wardrobe detox click HERE
If you are one of the rare few who think image doesn't matter, try
shopping at a fine store dressed in what you would normally wear to
clean your basement or move furniture. Then visit the same store looking
well-groomed and wearing your best suit. Chances are the staff will
treat you quite differently!